Installation of a cutting-edge cardiac MRI machine at the Glen site
The McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) received the 3T GE SIGNA™ Premier, a flagship GE Medical Systems Cardiac Magnetic Resonance (MR) machine, on Saturday, September 21, 2019.
The machine, which performs cutting-edge scans of the heart and the vascular system, will provide the MUHC with unprecedented expertise in heart research, while at the same time considerably enhancing patient experience. The machine:
- will be used by clinician scientists from the MUHC and the RI-MUHC and world-class scientists from leading medical image companies
- will allow for reducing scans from 45 to 15 minutes
- will lead to faster diagnoses
- will facilitate the discovery of hard-to-detect cardiac conditions
- will allow for reducing the need for contrast agents (dyes injected)
- will not require any radioactive substances or radiation
- will improve patient safety and experience
The MUHC Foundation funded the purchase of the machine and the necessary renovations for its installation.