Where to Start


What you need to know

Infertility is an extremely challenging and sensitive issue that is affecting a growing number of couples. At the MUHC Reproductive Centre, we strive to alleviate the stress and frustration associated with infertility by providing emotional support and expert advice on treatment options available.  

Infertility is the inability for a couple to conceive after one year of unprotected intercourse. Some couples who do not conceive within one year may eventually do so without medical help. These couples are sub-fertile, which means that they can conceive, but it takes them longer than one year to do so.

We encourage couples to seek fertility consultation after one year of unsuccessfully trying to become pregnant; however, you should seek help sooner if you have one or more of the following conditions: 

  • irregular or no menstruation;
  • history of pelvic infections and/or burst appendix, previous abdominal surgeries;
  • increasing and severe pain during menstruation;
  • 2 to 3 previous miscarriages;
  • history of sexually transmitted diseases such as Chlamydia or Gonorrhea in either partner;
  • testicular surgery, injury, or history of childhood infections such as mumps in the male partner;
  • sexual problems such as premature ejaculation and/or difficulty with erection;
  • female partner is older than 35 years of age.

If you have been referred by a physician or wish to consult on your own, please complete the Registration Form and return it by email to: [email protected]. If you have a referral, please send it along with the form. Once your file is open, we will contact you to schedule your first appointment with a fertility specialist.

Both you and your partner (if applicable) are required to attend the first appointment. You should expect to be at the Clinic for the most part of the morning or afternoon depending on the time of the appointment. 

At the time of the appointment, you will be seen by:

  • A clinical fellow (a physician specializing in Assisted Reproductive Medicine) and/or a resident, who will evaluate and assess your medical history.

  • Your physician who will prescribe basic investigation tests and answer any questions you may have.

  • A nurse who will explain the tests and where they should be done.