In Canada, falls are the principal cause of injury and the 6th leading cause of death in older people.
- Among seniors aged over 65, one person in three falls at least a once a year.
- 35% of people admitted to the Montreal General Hospital due to a trauma are over 60 and have been injured in falls.
- 9% of these people do not survive the fall.
- More than 90% of hip fractures result from falls.
- 40% of people in long-term care centres are there as a result of a hip fracture.
In response to these worrisome figures, the Montreal General Hospital’s Trauma Program decided to launch a major action plan to raise public awareness – mainly among older people – about the importance of taking precautions to prevent falls.