MUHC At a Glance
McGill University Health Centre at a Glance
The McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) is a bilingual academic health network, and one of the largest and most modern in North America.
Each year, we:
- receive over 715,000 ambulatory visits, including 177,000 emergency department visits
- receive almost 40,000 inpatients yearly
- perform almost 35,000 surgeries
- deliver close over 3,000 babies
Our team is made up of:
- 12,000 nurses and hospital staff
- 1,587 physicians, dentists and pharmacists
- 2,100 research staff
- 550 researchers
- 1,200 graduate and post-doctoral students
- Over 2,200 volunteers
Our mandate is to provide tertiary and quaternary care to the population of Montreal and Quebec. In other words, care that requires hospitalization, complex surgery, emergency care or specialized treatment. If you are unsure where to go for care, find out more here.
The Research Institute of the MUHC is an international research powerhouse with a worldwide reputation in the field of biomedical sciences and health care. Last year alone, we had:
- Ongoing research collaborations with 51 countries worldwide
- 1,800 peer-reviewed scientific publications
- 1,600 ongoing projects (including clinical trials and others)
- 185,105 research participants
TEACHING AND EDUCATION
Affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine of McGill University, the MUHC cultivates an environment that allows students, postgraduate residents and fellows to develop professionally while contributing to patient well-being. Every year, we welcome students from across the health spectrum into our hospitals, contributing to the next generation of healthcare providers.
In an area spanning 63 per cent of the territory of the province of Quebec – and which includes 7 different regional authorities, the MUHC as the only university health care centre, 2 CIUSSS, 3 CISSS and three other health centres – RUIS McGill works to offer better access to health care for a population of 1.8 million.
Within the regions of its territorial responsibility, McGill University’s Réseau Universitaire Intégré de Santé (RUIS) supports health care delivery, teaching, research and technology assessment.
Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux
Glossaire Définition de termes relatifs au réseau de la santé et des services sociaux