Why is the new hospital called the Glen site?
The Oxford dictionary states that a glen is a narrow valley. Thus the Glen site gets its name from the land it is originally built on. Erected in 1906, the land served as a train yard and station on the Canadian Pacific Railway route across Canada. The Glen was uniquely known for being used only for passenger trains – in fact, only three such facilities like it existed in all of Canada. The station connected passengers to western and eastern parts of the country, as well as some neighbouring American cities such as Boston and New York City. The MUHC acquired the 43 acre Glen yards in 2004 as the new location for their hospital complex.
« Back to Questions