Beware of carbon monoxide poisoning

If you know someone who is still without electricity, remind them not to use fuel-burning appliances to warm themselves indoors, such as a stove, auxiliary or camping heater, or barbecue. In addition, generators should only be used outdoors, at a safe distance from doors and windows.

These fuel-burning appliances release carbon monoxide (CO), an odourless and colourless gas that is responsible for many poisonings in Quebec. CO is released when appliances burn fuel such as propane, wood, fuel oil, gasoline or natural gas. Breathing carbon monoxide can be very dangerous to your health and even lead to death.

Only a carbon monoxide alarm can detect and report the presence of this gas.

For more information, visit the Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning page on the Government of Quebec website.

Translated from the Government of Quebec’s Health and Social Services news item.