$750,000 for McGill University Health Centre Nurses and Respiratory Therapists
September 23rd, 2021 News
The MUHC commits to full reimbursement of college or university studies
Nurses who work in the MUHC Department of Nursing and Respiratory Therapists who work in MUHC Cardiorespiratory Services can now get financial support to cover their college or university studies at institutions recognized by the MELS.
Thanks to funding provided by the estate of Herta Vodstrcil, through the Montreal General Hospital Foundation, and the SPSICR-CUSM (FIQ) Union, $750,000 will be distributed over the next few years to MUHC nurses and RTs to help to cover the cost of their tuition, up to the full amount based on Quebec tuition rates.
“This year’s bursary program is especially exciting because, unlike in past years, nurses and RTs can have more than just a part of their tuition paid for,” says Alain Biron, associate director of nursing at the MUHC. “The MUHC is proud of its nurses and RTs and we are thrilled to announce these bursaries that will help so many advance their education and careers.”
These bursaries are part of the MUHC’s development programs for employees.
To apply for a bursary, follow the guidelines below. The deadline to apply is October 23, 2021.
Applicants who work in the MUHC departments of Nursing (Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses) or Cardiorespiratory Services (Respiratory Therapists) and who are members of the SPSICR-CUSM category 1, may request financial support for college or university studies leading to a degree
(a) from an educational institution, recognized by the MELS (Ministère de l’éducation et des Loisirs et Sports)and
(b) within the field of Nursing or Cardiorespiratory Care.
All applicants who wish to receive financial support must submit the completed request within the stated time frame. The requests are then reviewed and financial support is awarded in an equitable manner based on the guidelines and selection criteria outlined below.
- Applicant is employed full time or part time in the Nursing directorate or in the Cardiorespiratory Services at the MUHC at the time of the request and is a member of the SPSICR-CUSM category 1 (FIQ Union).
- Applicant must have attended the course(s) while she is an MUHC employee and is a member of the
SPSICR – CUSM Category 1 (FIQ Union).
- Applicant is accepted in an accredited program from an educational institution recognized by the MELS
(Ministère de l’éducation et des Loisirs et Sports).
- Program of studies is within the Nursing or Cardiorespiratory field.
Program of Studies Eligible for Funding
- DEC in Nursing (Licensed Practical Nurse only)
- CEGEP level prerequisites to qualify for a university program
- Undergraduate or graduate degree relevant to the Nursing or Cardiorespiratory field.
Guidelines for Reimbursement for College and University Studies
- The reimbursement program covers courses successfully completed between September 1, 2020 and August 31, 2021. The deadline for submission of a request for reimbursement is October 23, 2021 at 15:00 hrs.
- Funding for tuition fees for undergraduate and graduate university studies will be based ONLY on the Quebec rate for tuition fees even if the courses were not taken at a Quebec university.
- The allowable amount includes tuition fees only. Books, student fees, late fees, or any other fees are not considered.
- To be eligible for reimbursement, the candidate must meet the selection criteria (see above) and have successfully completed the course or courses.
- As per Finance, the amount to be reimbursed will be issued on the candidate’s payroll.
- A failed course will not be considered for reimbursement.
- The applicant must submit:
- The completed request form – the request form must be legible
- Copy of Transcripts showing clearly the grade received for the course (s) and the number of credits for each course for which a bursary application is submitted. If the transcript does not show the number of credits per course, it is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain a document from the university confirming the number of credits for each course. Originals will not be returned. Copies should be sent instead of original transcripts.
- Proof of payment must be from the educational institution and outline the tuition fees only.
- If the educational institution does not issue a proof of payment with a detailed breakdown of all fees, it is the responsibility of the applicant to clearly identify the tuition fee from the rest of the fees (example: subtract price of books, administrative fees, etc.)
- DO NOT submit course descriptions
The application form can be found by accessing the MUHC Intranet/Team Collaboration/Nursing/Education and Professional Development/Bursaries.
Submitting the Request
- Applicants must ensure that they submit their application before the deadline:
October 23, 2021 at 15:00.
* All applications received after the deadline will be refused *
Please send all your documents via e-mail to: [email protected]
For inquiries contact: [email protected]