MUHC Office of the Ombudsman - Complaints Commissioner
Each site of the MUHC has an ombudsman to assist patients and their families by investigating and helping to resolve complaints or areas of dissatisfaction. Patients and families should first discuss their concerns with members of their healthcare team, but if the issue cannot be resolved, they are invited to contact the office of the ombudsman.
Doctors and staff members are invited to consult the Ombudsman when they have concerns about patients’ rights and/or care and services provided to patients and families. In addition, the law provides that staff members who want to lodge a complaint against a member of the CPDP (physician, resident, pharmacist or dentist) may do so through the MUHC Office of the Ombudsman.
What can we do?
- provide information on the complaint process
- assist patients and families to navigate the health care system
- refer patients and their families to the appropriate person within the system
- help those with questions related to patients’ rights or concerns about care and services
- provide advice on conflict resolution for patients, families and hospital personnel
- investigate patient complaints and provide conclusions
- make recommendations to improve patient care following investigation of the complaint
Guide to MUHC Complaint Policy (brochure)
MUHC Complaint Form (online form)
You may reach the ombudsman
ombudsman [at] muhc [dot] mcgill [dot] ca
|MUHC Office of the Ombudsman |
1650 Cedar Room E6.164
514 934 1934
Annual Report [pdf]
MUHC Complaint Bylaws [pdf]
MUHC Code of Ethics [pdf]
We are members of the Forum of Canadian Ombudsman (FCO). The FCO website (www.ombudsmanforum.ca/) explains in more detail what the role of an Ombudsman may be and provides links to other sites of interest.
For information concerning the Quebec complaints system you may wish to go to the site of the Protecteur du citoyen du Québec (www.protecteurducitoyen.qc.ca/en/)