Our volunteers contribute immeasurably to the quality of life of patients at the MUHC. The many services and programs that they provide are an invaluable support to the work of our staff. Their compassion and commitment are an inspiration. If you would like to join our volunteers, please see the volunteer bureau's listed here.
MUHC Volunteers Celebrate During National Week
What do Volunteers do at the MUHC Adult Sites?
Each year over 1200 volunteers provide services to the adult patient population of the MUHC at the Montreal Chest Institute, the Montreal General Hospital, the Montreal Neurological Hospital and the Royal Victoria Hospital. From the age of fourteen through their early nineties, men and women are actively engaged in a choice of over 120 programs. The volunteers relate and respond to the needs of patients, their families and friends and the hospital staff. They are committed individuals, rendering a vast array of services which have a positive impact on both patient and staff morale.
We Are Looking for Volunteers
Who are ready to make a commitment of 3 to 4 hours a week (morning, afternoon or evening) for a minimum of 5 months. For the summer "Volunteen" Program (July and August) we are looking for volunteers who can commit 2 days a weeks over the summer.
Note: Minimum age to volunteer at the adult hospital sites is 14 for non clinical areas and 15 for others, with parental consent. For age requirements to volunteer at the Montreal Children's, please see above.
Volunteer Opportunities to Choose From:
- Mealtime support — recognizing the social aspect of mealtime, someone is there to help and encourage patients to eat.
- Psychosocial support — allowing an oncology patient to voice concerns; a visit from the volunteer to offer a book or a film through our Library or Humour Programs helping elderly patients with an arts and crafts or a cooking project; helping patients in high stress areas such Emergency and the waiting and recovery rooms in the O.R.; or something as special as Pet Therapy's "Hug a Pup"
- Patient accompaniment — welcoming patients and visitors to the hospital, assisting patients to move through hospital areas in a caring manner.
- Cuddling premature infants in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- Childcare support for parents who are coping with the stress of a serious illness.
- Support to patients and families in Palliative Care.
- Clerical support — helping keep the paper work current.
- Coffee and Gift shops - providing friendly service.
How to Become a Volunteer:
- Contact the Volunteer Department at:
Montreal Chest Institute
Montreal Neurological Hospital
Royal Victoria Hospital
Montreal General Hospital 934-1934
- Complete an application form that includes a police check authorization form. Candidates must provide two references on the application form, a picture and sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Participate in a one on one or group interview.
- Participate in a general orientation session (2 hours)
- Participate in training specific to the area of volunteering
Volunteering at The Montreal Children's Hospital
Each year hundreds of adults volunteer at the Montreal Children's Hospital. Volunteer opportunities include patient and staff support on in-patient wards and in the Emergency Department, escorting patients and parents to day surgery, providing information at the main entrances and clerical support. The support provided by volunteers complements the services provided by the staff. Orientation and training is provided to all volunteers.
The requirements to become a volunteer at the Montreal Children's Hospital is that you have to be 17 years old for the Emergency Department, Ambulatory services waiting area and the Terrace summer programs and 18 years to volunteer on the wards.
Montreal Children's Hospital Volunteer Department 412-4400