Montreal General Hospital
In 2003, the Quebec Health Ministry asked the MUHC to maintain a hospital in downtown Montreal. The Montreal General Hospital was chosen as it was the most recent of the downtown buildings, and as it is Montreal’s only downtown adult trauma centre, a vital resource in the heart of our city.
The modernization of the Montreal General Hospital will provide our patients with modern healthcare in a project that is respectful of our surroundings and historic Mount-Royal. The initiatives involve the creation of welcoming, healing environments that offer a special place for patients and their families while privileging natural light and green space. They also aim to promote synergy among the MUHC’s four-part mission: providing specialized patient care, teaching future generations of healthcare professionals, conducting fundamental and clinical research, and evaluating new technologies– all with the aim of transforming patient care.
Renovations have already begun in a number of units inside the hospital. Notable among the projects underway or already completed are:
- Consolidation of and renovations to the Mental Health Unit
- Upgrades to the Gastroenterology Unit
- Renovations to the Cardiac Care Unit
- Construction of a new Cardiac Electrophysiology Laboratory
- Construction of a new electrical sub-station to support the modernization project and new equipment
Did you know?
- We handle the most serious trauma cases:
- The Montreal General Hospital is the only Level-1 adult trauma centre in downtown Montreal
- The Montreal General Hospital developed the first Trauma Team Leader program in Quebec
- Our expertise is recognized by nongovernmental organizations that have asked our staff to train doctors and nurses in Ethiopia, Tanzania and Uganda