Our volunteers contribute immeasurably to the quality of life of patients at the MUHC. The many services and programs that they provide are an invaluable support to the work of our staff. Their compassion and commitment are an inspiration.
Many of our volunteers say that their biggest reward comes from helping others. As a volunteers, you are tremendously valuable to the hospital.
You help in so many ways by:
- Relieving the loneliness, boredom, and feelings of frustration patients may experience;
- Bringing companionship and a feeling of being valued;
- Supporting staff to enable them to provide the highest level of care to our patients.
Our Volunteer Programs offer so much more. You can:
- Be a valued member of the MUHC community;
- Brush up on old skills and gain new ones;
- Enhance your resume;
- Explore potential career paths in healthcare;
- Get experience and references for work and/or school;
- Interact with our diverse and multicultural community;
- Make new friends;
- Mentor new volunteers and share your experience.
As a volunteer you will be:
- given sound guidance and direction;
- given worthwhile and suitable assignments;
- kept informed and listened to by staff;
- provided orientation, training, support, supervision and evaluation;
- treated as a respected and trusted team member;
- valued as a person who can make unique contributions;
- provided with a clear understanding of the assignment including duties, responsibilities, supervisor, structure and time commitment;
- having your volunteerin time used wisely;
- able to say "no" to some volunteer tasks;
- volunteering in safe working conditions.