RI MUHC Internal Scientific Grant Review
Program Coordinator: Nicole Bernard, Ph.D.
E-mail: Nicole [dot] bernard [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Tel. : (514) 934-1934 (x-44584)
In order to increase the success rate in attaining peer reviewed funding, all RI MUHC investigators across all sites* are encouraged to have their applications undergo an internal scientific review.
*Investigators at the MCH are obliged to undergo a mandatory internal scientific review and should contact marlene [dot] aardse [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca for further information.
Who should have their grants undergo internal scientific review?
It is expected that all new researchers and scholarship applicants take advantage of this opportunity to have their applications pre-reviewed by their peers.
Note: This should not be confused with the RI MUHC mandatory internal administrative review for the biannual CIHR Open Operating Grants competition. This review is strictly stylistic format only as per CIHR regulations (i.e. signatures, required pages, common cv, etc). For further information please contact jenny [dot] koulis [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca
Instructions for investigators submitting new grant and/or scholarship applications
- Log in to Http://muhc.gsubmit.net.
- First time users must set a login and password.
- Follow instruction on the site to upload submissions.
- Submissions must be received 3 weeks prior to the granting agency deadline
- Reviewers will be assigned and given 1 week to read the application.
- One week before the agency deadline the applicant will set up a meeting with reviewers to discuss ways to improve the application.
- Letters of invitation will be sent to MUHC investigators according to the subject of the submission requesting that they review the application that has been submitted.
- Because the timeline is short a speedy reply as to whether you are or are not able to help with the review is appreciated.
- Reviewers in conflict of interest with the applicant (i.e. applying to the same competition, same committee) would be expected to refuse the invitation to review.
- The review process consists of reading and evaluating the proposal, meeting the candidate in person (if possible along with the 2nd reviewer).
- The reviewer will be asked to complete a check list on the website. This latter is the proof needed that the process was completed.
Instructions for reviewers
Note: The whole review process must be kept confidential.
Time line of the Scientific Review
- 3-weeks prior to deadline of the agency: applicant uploads his/her application for review
- Internal scientific review coordinator solicits reviewers (can take up to a week to find available and willing reviewers)
- Reviewer has one week to review the proposal and then meet with the applicant in person (the meeting is organized by the applicant)