A warm welcome to nursing at the MUHCIf you are a member of the nursing profession, and you are looking for an employer who can offer variety, career development opportunities and an excellent working environment, please consider joining our team.
The MUHC is always looking for nurses to fill positions in a wide range of specializations. We can offer you the opportunity to build a rewarding career with your personal interests at heart. Come and meet with us to discuss your career and goals and discover the challenges and opportunities that await you...read more
All resumes are kept in strict confidence and are retained for a period of six months. Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Yes. Nurses are able to transfer between different MUHC hospitals without loss of seniority or other benefits.
MUHC nurses can choose between permanent full-time and part-time positions, long-term replacement positions, availability status, 8- or 12-hour shifts and the possibility of self scheduling on the majority of units. Scheduling options may also include selecting day or evening shifts, day or night shifts and rotation or permanent shift work. These alternatives contribute to our nurses' and their families' quality of life.
At the MUHC, we support your efforts to acquire fluency in a second language. In addition to being immersed in a bilingual work environment where your development is encouraged, you will have access to English or French courses.
There are seven clinical missions at the MUHC, each offering different nursing specialties.
- The Montreal Children's Hospital
- Medicine (including Emergency Medicine)
- Neuro Sciences
- Mental Health
- Women's Health
- Cancer Care
At the MUHC you are recognized for your hard work, thanked for your contribution in providing excellent care and recognized simply for being a part of the MUHC family. The organization invests in a Corporate Recognition Program and you reap the benefits of these programs the moment you join the MUHC community. Here are some exclusive advantages:
- Corporate Discount Program: The MUHC has partnered with reputable companies and has negotiated discounts for us on a variety of products and services. New partners are added regularly.
- MUHC e-cards: It’s fun to send an e-card for birthdays, retirements, to congratulate someone or just to show appreciation! Choose from a selection of 22 e-cards available to all Lotus Notes users.
- On-the-Spot Recognition Program: A program designed to recognize individuals or teams who go that extra mile.
- Service Awards: You don’t have to wait 25 years to be recognized for your commitment and contribution to the MUHC. We are recognized after just one year of service!
- Social Events: Each MUHC site is represented by a Quality of Life at Work Committee. Each committee is responsible for putting together social activities throughout the year to promote enjoyment at work. We enjoy our site-specific events, such as Halloween parties, corn roasts, BBQs and Holiday Season parties. It’s true that we work hard but it’s also true that we have fun!
Develop your nursing career at the MUHC
The nursing profession is always evolving. Today more than ever, nurses need ongoing education to keep at the forefront of their chosen field. At the MUHC nurses are supported and encouraged to build their careers by gaining experience in different specialties, exploring different roles and responsibilities and pursuing education at any level. Our nurses, clinician nurses, and clinical nurse specialists, nursing educators, nurse scientists and specialized nurse practitioners work in numerous areas of our hospitals. The following are just some of the career development opportunities that exist in nursing at the MUHC:
Nursing Career planning service
Our personalized Nursing Career Planning Service supports your career track, providing you with tools to improve your skills, promote your assets, and achieve your goals. We can help you prepare for a job interview, update your resume, write letters of intent, and further your studies. Preceptorship programs All nurses are invited to take advantage of our preceptorship programs, which are full-time personalized orientations, designed to help new staff members integrate into their department. Each nurse works closely with an experienced preceptor, to gain the skills and knowledge necessary to care for the patient population of that clinical specialty. French classes We offer free courses to help you learn, improve and become fluent in the French language. Critical Care training Tremendous potential for career growth exists within our hospital network. Nurses may choose their track from a unique blend of specialties and ultra-specialties. With specialized training, candidates to the nursing practice (CPN) may begin their career in the operating room, critical care, emergency and dialysis. Advanced studies in nursing Funding support is available for nurses interested in continuing their education towards obtaining Bachelors and Masters degrees. Certain bursaries also exist for the CNA (Canadian Nurses Association) Certification and Re-certification exams (19 different specialties). Workshops and conferences Nurses at the MUHC are offered many opportunities to attend specialized workshops and conferences.
Conferences in adult care:
- Trauma conference (TNCC)
- Ethics: the context of caring (CATN)
- Professional Nursing Practice: leadership for the future (CATN)
- International Palliative Care conference (CATN)
- McGill International Symposium in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility and Women's Health (CATN)
Conferences in child and adolescent care:
- International Pediatric Nursing Research Symposium: Clinical Care of the Child and Family
Workshops and course in Adult Care:
- Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC)
- Course in Advanced Trauma Nursing (CATN)
- BCLS Certification and Recertification
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Workshops in Respiratory Medicine; Emergencies, Asthma, COPD
- Sepsis workshop
- Emergency workshop
- Pain Management seminars
- Skin, Wound and Ostomy Care Management workshop
- Diabetes Management
- Neuroscience Nursing program
- Neuro Assessment workshop
- Code Blue workshop
- Aggressive/violent Behaviour Management Crisis Intervention
- Grief workshop
- Oncology Nursing course
- Family Assessment workshop
- Preceptorship program
- OIIQ Exam Practice sessions training at the McGill University Simulation Centre
Workshops in in child and adolescent care:
- Pediatric Basic Cardiac Life Support - CPR
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support - Nursing (PALS)
- Infection Control in Pediatrics
- Acute Pain Management workshop
- Reflections on Death and Dying
- Children and Palliative Care
- Optimizing Nurse/parents Relationships
Financial assistance available Through special bursary programs, the MUHC offers significant financial assistance to outstanding candidates who wish to take for-credit courses at recognized academic institutions.