Architecture and design
The Glen’s architectural design will not only make it a new landmark in Montreal, but will integrate well into urban surroundings making the Glen a hub of activity for the community and the city. The vibrant building exteriors will be rich blues, yellows and reds and the curving main facade will welcome patients and their families to the New MUHC at the Glen.
An easy patient experience:
- All public entrances will have airport-style drop-off zones
- Wayfinding signs inside and outside the buildings will be colour-coded for quick identification
- The main interior “street,” encased in glass and overlooking gardens, will clearly lead you to elevators, care units, clinics, atriums, stores and cafés
- A clear network of interior streets will help you find your way
- Dedicated hallways and elevators for patients on stretchers will ensure more privacy and faster access to their destination
A green site for everyone’s well-being:
- The Glen Site will have acres of green space that will include a children’s playground, a zen garden and several walking paths
- Four atria throughout the hospital complex will help use natural light as part of the healing process and enhance the well‐being of patients, their families and staff
- The health centre will adhere to stringent environmental standards (LEED® Silver certification and BOMA BESt) and favour sustainable development, energy savings, healthy air flow, efficient water use, waste reduction, recycling and green operations
From luxurious vegetation to warm materials, each detail of the new Glen Site is being carefully thought out. The goal: combine the latest principles in modern and environmental hospital design with the concepts of esthetics, elegance and respect for local residents.